Level – I
1. Find the equation of hyperbola whose eccentricity is 5/4, whose focus is (3, 0) and whose directrix is 4x – 3y = 3.
2. The transverse axes of a rectangular hyperbola is 2c and the asymptotes are the axes of coordinates;
show that the equation of the chord which is bisected at the point (2c, 3c) is 3x + 2y = 12c.
3. Find the equation to the chord of hyperbola 25x2 – 16y2 = 400
which is bisected at the point (5, 3).
4. If two points P and Q on the hyperbola ,
whose centre C be such that CP is perpendicular to CQ , a < b, then prove that
5. The asymptotes of a hyperbola having centre at the point (1 , 2) are parallel to the lines 2x + 3y = 0 and 3x + 2y = 0. If the hyperbola passes through the point (5, 3)
show that its equation is (2x + 3y – 8)(3x + 2y + 7) = 154.
6. Find the eccentricity of the hyperbola whose latus rectum is half of its transverse axis.
7. Find the equation of hyperbola whose foci are (6, 4) and (-4, 4) and eccentricity is 2.
8. Show that there cannot be any common tangent to the hyperbola and its conjugate hyperbola.
9. If the normals at four points P ( xi , yi ), i = 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 on the rectangular hyperbola xy = c2 , meet at the point Q(h , k) , prove that
(i) x1 + x2 + x3 + x4 = h.
(ii) y1 + y 2 + y3 + y4 = k.
(iii) x1 x2 x3 x4 = y1 y2 y3 y4 = c4
10. Let ‘ p ‘ be the perpendicular distance from the centre of the hyperbola
to the tangent drawn at a point R on the hyperbola. If S and S’ are the two foci of the hyperbola.
Then show that ( RS + RS’) = 4a2 (1 + b2/p2).